Friday, July 27, 2007

Open Letter to Biker Poets

Greetings Brother and Sister Poets,

First let me introduce myself. I'm a teacher/biker/poet from Pocatello, Idaho. Some of you know me and have heard from me before; you may even have read some of my poetry. Others of you are hearing from me for the first time. Bear with me.

Most of you have probably heard of Elko, Nevada, a small western community located along I- 80 in northeast Nevada at the foot of the Ruby Mountains. One of Elko's claims to fame has been as the home of the National Cowboy Poetry Gathering, a week-long event held each January/February. Cowboy poets and writers from all over the country converge and words and rhymes fly like bullets at the OK Corral.

Elko also holds their Annual Motorcycle Jamboree- Rumble in the Rubies each June and that event is becoming one of the best rallies in the southwest. It seemed to me natural that Elko would be a good place to locate an Annual National Bikerpoetry Gathering, to be held in conjunction with the Motorcycle Rally already in place. To make a long story short I have contacted the rally's board chair and she agrees. Evidently they have talked about this before but haven't really gotten it off the ground.. I volunteered to help (Pocatello is only about 200 miles from Elko), thus this letter.

In order to organize a National Bikerpoet Gathering, we need Bikerpoets. I'm hoping that some of you will express and interest and perhaps even make a commitment to attend such a gathering in June of 2008(June 20,21,22). This could be a great event for all of us and for the cause of Bikerpoetry in general. Let me know what you think, and of course, pass this along. Many of you are in contact with far more poets and writers than I am and I could use your help getting the word out. I appreciate your consideration and look forward to hearing from you.

E-Mail: uglicoyote1@yahoo.com

Keep On Keepin' On

No comments: