Saturday, October 13, 2007

Bikers

I suppose this poem might piss some people off. se la vie


Bikers


People ask “what makes a biker?”

I hear that question a lot

I'm not sure there is an exact answer

but I'm pretty sure what they're not


They're probably not those hardtail hardheads

who park their rides in front of the bar,

whose asses are parked on a barstool inside

but whose bikes never travel too far.


They're not those fat-cat wannabes,

trailers hauling their custom bikes

from rally to rally all year long

they don't know what real riding is like.


Tattoos sure don't make you a biker,

although some have tats, some do not.

Expensive black leather isn't enough

It's something that just can't be bought.


Do all biker's have to ride Harleys?

I love my Harley, but that's just not true

I've ridden with guys on all kinds of bikes

who were “bikers” through and through.


Are all one per-centers bikers?

I know that many of them ride free

But some of them are just assholes,

just another kind of wannabe.


To me real bikers are riders

out there with their wheels on the highway

putting on the miles, living in the ride,

on every back-road and byway.


Instead of hiding under the overpass,

right on through that storm they glide.

They know that trailers are made for boats,

that it doesn't have to be sunny to ride.


A biker will stop to help you out

if you're down along the way

The brand you ride doesn't matter a damn

They might need your help some day.


To me it's all about the ride,

about living out there on the highway,

about riding with a few good friends,

but you don't have to do it my way.


If you think its all about the tats,

about the chrome, the leather, the bars,

you can go ahead and live that life,

but you might as well drive a car.


You don't need a nice motorcycle

to get all rowdy and drunk,

to dress up like a pirate and

get in fight with some punk.


Me, I'll be out there on that highway,

making that Road King roll.

I bought it to ride, and I feel deep inside

I'm a biker, right down to my soul.


Copyright 2007 Bill “uglicoyote” Davis

3 comments:

Dean "D-Day" said...

AWESOME!
Couldn't have said it better myself.

IHG said...

What a great and very true poem! Dean is right...AWESOME!

Thanks for visiting my blog and for giving me a great tip on winter wear!

I found your poems thanks to Mr. D-Day! They are wonderful!!

J Owens said...

It will only piss off the posers. Ride brother!